THE RURAL SITE PRESENTED A BLANK CANVAS. A newly created pond became a key element of the site design,
providing subtle separation between the main house and its ancillary buildings, thus creating an appropriate sense of hierarchy.
The Langford House
A 1914 CENTER HALL FARMHOUSE was moved to the site and given new life as a traditional, Lowcountry raised cottage. An addition encircles the home, left open on the front and sides to function as deep, sheltered porches and enclosed in the back to enlarge the living space.
NEWLY ADDED SPACE AT THE REAR OF THE FARMHOUSE is wrapped with windows, suggesting it was once a porch that was later enclosed.
THE CENTER HALL reveals a staircase built to replicate the original. A doorway at the end of the hall leads into the glass-enclosed sunroom.
The interior transoms and side-lights mimic the front door, giving the impression that this was once the back entry of the home.
ON THE UPPER FLOOR, new materials were custom milled to match the profiles of the home’s
early twentieth century woodwork and artfully finished to emulate the patina of their elder cousins.
ACROSS THE POND FROM THE LANGFORD HOUSE sits an enclave of rustic,
tin-roofed structures, utilitarian in form but designed for hospitality and entertaining.
THE CANE MILL
VISITORS OVERNIGHT IN THE BUNKIES, one room cottages made of primitive materials.
CANTILEVERED OVER THE POND, The Hunting Lodge was designed to resemble an old waterside, cotton warehouse.
Unlike the Langford House with its innate sense of history, this new building captures the passage of time through
the use of simple materials, hand-distressed finishes, and the impression that it was re-purposed over the years.